July 13, 1884
Land sold for $1.00 to Congregation Israel by Horace Tabor.
August 7, 1884
Committee meets to contract the construction of building.
The building is built in xx days for a cost of $4000.
Friday, September 19, 1884
Temple Israel building dedicated during Rosh Hashanah 5645.
Last known recorded event, a wedding, at Temple Israel.
Temple Israel building in 1894
February 18, 1878
Leadville incorporates into an official town with Horace Tabor elected as Mayor.
After sitting vacant for many years, Steve Malin purchases the previous Temple Israel building and converts it to a residence in the back and a radiator repair shop in the front.
Early 1940s - WWII
The front half of the building, previously the radiator repair shop, becomes dorm housing for local miners.
Saint George Episcopal Church across the street acquires the building to use it as a vicarage.
The building changes hands again and is converted to a four unit apartment complex.
1971, 1980, 1985
The building is sold three more times between the early 1970s and the mid 1980s with various changes made to the building.
Temple Israel Foundation purchases the Temple Israel building.
Front façade of Temple Israel building is restored to look of late 1800s.
An electrical fire causes extensive damage to the building rendering the apartments uninhabitable.
After nearly two years, the Temple Israel building is fully restored.
The Temple Israel building becomes a museum open to the public with its first permanent exhibition documenting Leadville's frontier Jewish history.
Orthodox members split off to form Kneseth Israel. They meet in homes until a building is secured.
Orthodox Jews purchase the Presbyterian church building on 119 W 5th Street.
The old Presbyterian Church and Orthodox Synagogue building is demolished.
The previous Presbyterian Church changed ownership in 1893 and became an orthodox synagogue.
(Exact date of this photo is unknown.)
Temple Israel as it looked in 1929 as an empty building.
Temple Israel as it looked in 1964 when Saint George Episcopal Church used the building as a Vicarage.
Temple Israel as it looked in 1995 before any restoration work was done.
Orthodox members of Kneseth Israel.
Left: Building as it looked just before the front façade restoration.
Right: Front façade restoration complete.
Copyright 2017 • Temple Israel Foundation