Gustave "Fred" Jelenko dies, the first of the Leadville Jews to die making clear of the need for a cemetery.
101,000 square feet of the southwest corner of the Evergreen Cemetery was transferred to the Hebrew Benevolent Association.
Gustave "Fred" Jelenko was the first buried
in the new Hebrew Cemetery.
The Jewish people started leaving Leadville by the later 1880s, 1890s, and early 1900s, usually to larger cities for more opportunities. As a result, very few Jews were left to care for the Hebrew Cemetery. As a result, the Hebrew Cemetery suffered from nearly seven decades of neglect, despite isolated, individual efforts throughout the 20th century.
Minette Miller dies. She is the last known descendant living in Leadville of the former population of Jews in Leadville.
June 18, 1993
Temple Israel Foundation obtains the Hebrew Cemetery through Quiet Title action.
The Hebrew Cemetery was reconsecrated after years of cleanup efforts by the Denver chapter of B'nai B'rith.
Missing grave markers were replaced for the known grave sites.
Temple Israel building dedicated during Rosh Hashanah 5644.
February 18, 1878
Leadville incorporates into an official town with Horace Tabor elected as Mayor.
Temple Israel Foundation is incorporated.
The Hebrew Cemetery has a new Block E established for modern burials.
Copyright 2016 • Temple Israel Foundation