Hyman

Mannie Hyman

The Hyman patronymic appears regularly in the Leadville chronicles beginning in 1880 with Mannie’s (sometimes recorded as Manie) attendance at the May-Shoenberg nuptials on September 20 where he presented the happy couple with a jewelry casket. The records are incomplete, but by 1882 Mannie was running a saloon and gambling den at 316 Harrison Avenue under the name of Hyman’s Club Rooms and was an early adaptor of electricity in the City. The establishment was notorious for brawling, culminating in the last known fracas of the legendary John H. “Doc” Holliday who shot and wounded one William Allen over a five dollar debt (the good Doctor was accused of welshing).

 

Life was not all riotous living and during March, 1883, Mannie served as an usher for Palace of Fashion trial banquet. The following month, on April 7, Mannie was one of the incorporators and directors of the Leadville Base Ball and Athletic Association. During these years we know that he lived at 224 Harrison Avenue in 1883 and at 405 Harrison Avenue in 1884 and 1885. Sordid clients aside, Mannie seems to have remained within the better social circles. On February 6, 1885:

 

A recherche dinner party was given at the residence of Hon. David May in honor of Baron St. Lindoner of Berlin, Friday evening. Mrs. May did the honors of hostess in her usual graceful and hospital manner. The participants were Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Monheimer, Mr. and Mrs. S. Shoenberg, Mr. Mannie Hyman, Mr. Neudlinger of New York, Mr. J. Burnheimer and Mr. Brad DuBois.

Advertising Card

Hyman's Club Rooms,

The Finest in the City

316 Harrison Ave. Leadville, Colo.

Next Door to Tabor Opera House

Open Day and Night

 

Collection of the Temple Israel Foundation,

Leadville, Colorado.

Names associated with this surname:

  • Mannie Hyman
  • Levi Hyman
  • Sarah R. (Hyman) Barnett
  • Harry Hyman
  • Matthew Hyman
  • Nathan Hyman
  • Henry Hyman
  • Mary Hyman Katz Molberg
  • David Hyman
  • Still born infant Hyman
  • Sophie Hyman
  • Philip Friedman
  • Henry Barnett
  • Andre Barnett
  • Rebecca Barnett
  • Nathan Katz
  • David Hyman
  • Isaac Hyman
  • Cecelia Hyman
  • Louis Hyman
  • Lottie Hyman
  • Alfred W. Hyman
  • Charles L. Hyman
  • Robert G. Hyman
  • Dora Hyman
  • Maxine Hyman
  • Len Hyman
  • Aud Hyman
  • Gertrude Thomas

Business must have led to optimism:

 

This evening [April 3, 1886] at 7 o’clock the doors to Hyman’s club rooms, on Harrison avenue [314-316], will be thrown open to the public, and a host of patrons, who have been looking forward with uncontrollable anxiety to the event that will undoubtedly be one of the memorable ones in the history of the mountain metropolis. During the past few days, the gentlemanly proprietor, Mannie Hyman, has been dispatching gorgeous invitations to his many friends, and he desires the reporter to state if he has omitted any one it was unintentional. He authorizes the reporter to extend through these columns a general invitation to one and all, and a cordial reception is assured. Although the improvements upon the house have not yet been completed, the interior has been repapered, while the magnificent floor has been constructed that imparts to the famous old resort a brand new appearance, as well as a most airy and attractive one. The bar fixtures have undergone a number of improvements, embracing all the latest novelties that are found in the east. The ensemble will in fact be exquisite, and the resort will be second to none in the western country. The stock of goods which Mr. Hyman has selected for his new opening is the most varied and extensive ever brought to the mountains, and with Mr. Theodore Shultz as the financial manager. Nothing is wanted to place the house upon the very pinnacle of popularity. The signal for the opening will be given by a brass band, which has been engaged for the occasion, when the grand rush will take place.

HAPPY HYMAN

 

A prouder or more priceless testimonial than that which was paid to Mannie Hyman upon the occasion of his opening last night cannot be conceived and in after years while sitting in retrospection, the compliment must awaken a spirit of joy in him; nor can it be forgotten by the visitor, who found himself in a very solstice of delight that continued until the gray shadows of dawn came in pale procession down the mountain’s crest. It was 7 o’clock in the evening that a band paid its compliments to the enterprising genius who had taken a leading place in business circles from his advent, and signaled the reopening of doors that have scarcely been idle since they were suspended several years ago. People responded to the mellow discourse as if they had been awakened by the wand of some bacchanalian wizard, and humanity poured into the spacious rooms in torrents. In a flash the establishment, with its various contingent rooms that shone brightly beneath the electric globes, was packed and jammed. It was a scene that transported the old timer back to the turbulent days of ‘79. It was picturesque in its madness and hundreds of voices formed the grand chorus. Ubiquitous, the rotund form of the proprietor, with Mr. Shultz, the financial manager was seen everywhere. About nine o’clock the gong was sounded and a grand charge was made upon the tables that groaned aloud under the epicurean load. The fork was the scepter of the world at that moment, and hundreds gathered about a board fit for the fastidious Falstaff. In the ante parlors were gathered the representative citizens of the metropolis, while the wealth of Croesus could almost have been summed up in the merry laughing throng that sent benedictions, thick and fast upon the proprietor and his adjutants. There was the perpetual pop of the champagne cork that must ring forever in the ears of the guests, and when the last step in life’s ladder is reached they will look back to the reopening night at Mannie Hyman’s. In selecting his corps of adjutants the gentleman could not have exercised greater wisdom. Mr. Theodore Shultz has been inaugurated as financial manager with Messrs. Gus Swanson, Frank Lomeister, Henry Kellerman, and Will Newman as custodians of the liquid department. The opening has been under the most auspicious circumstances, and every one wishes the affable, enterprising host “good luck.” and no end to it.

Then, in July, 1887

 

One of the many important transactions of which record has been made within the past few days was the conveyance of a half interest in lot No. 6, block No. 1, by Mannie Hyman to Lewis Cohen, for a consideration of $10,000, the property in question being more particularly described as the Hyman block [314-316 Harrison] that adjoins the Tabor opera house. The revenues that have been derived from this property since it was purchased by Hyman a few years ago, have been something enormous, and to-day it is regarded as one of the most valuable of the avenue possessions. Its career marks the rise and fall of many a man who wooed the fickle goddess over the green cloth, and it is a perfect illustration of what one man may achieve through industry, application to a certain object and just enough conviviality to put a limit on the approach of the gang in the direction of the safe and loans on the familiar morning principle. When Hyman came over from Kokomo {a mining camp on Fremont Pass}, a few years ago, and opened the place, it was upon his wits and business sagacity. He began to coin money, and year by year saw his fortunes increasing, until to-day he represents nearly as much cash capital as any of the mediocre in the state; and most of it was realized through the walls and partitions of the block, a half interest in which he has just sold for $10,000. There is probably no place in the state where property has maintained a better figure than in Leadville, and where at the same time the revenues have been better.

 

This constitutes the last acknowledgement of Mannie Hyman in Leadville as the business passed to Shultz and a man named Dale. The name, Hyman’s Place, remained until 1889.

Levi and Sarah Hyman

The Hyman thread picks up again with the arrival of Levi (born 1825), Sarah R.(born in 1863 in Vilnius, emigrated in 1878 and naturalized in 1889), and their family at 115 East 3rd Street by 1889. The address would serve as the family home until 1924.The household that year also contained Harry, a tailor for Ed Jackson who may have been a brother, and children Matthew, Nathan, Henry (born July, 1885, in Canada), and Mary (born April 28, 1887, in Kansas). August, 1891, saw the birth of David (although the 1910 Census reports his age as 20 and that of 1920 as 26), 1893 the stillbirth of an infant on November 10 who was placed in the Hebrew Cemetery, Block B, Lot 11, Grave 8, and then the birth of Sophie during December, 1894. Sadly, for what was otherwise an young family, seventy two year old Levi, a tailor, died soon after on April 14, 1896. He was buried in what was to become the family plot in Block C, Lot 4, Grave 6.

 

Sarah remarried quickly, but briefly, to Philip Friedman on February 28, 1897. The next year it appears that Sarah married Henry Barnett, at that time 63, who then moved into the house at 115 East 3rd Street with his children Andre and Rebecca. Sarah was still living at the family home with only David in attendance by 1920, supporting herself as a tailor, and remained there until 1924.

Matthew worked the family trade as a tailor 1891, Nathan clerked for Sands Bros. as early as 1894, By 1902 he was fully engaged in the rag trade working successively for Famous Shoe & Clothing (1902 and 1903), Minnie B. Miller (1905 and 1906), Alfred Hoffman (1907), Hub Shoe & Clothing Co, (1908), and Harry Isaacs (1909). Nathan lived with his family until 1909 when he took accommodations at 309 Pine Street. Henry’s path was not so placid. In 1901 he worked as a laborer for D. D. Escher, then during 1902 as a caller for the Colorado Midland Railroad, and in 1903 as a clerk. Henry died on January 10, 1904, and was interred in the Hebrew Cemetery in Block C, Lot 4, Grave 7, next to his father.

 

Mary married Nathan Katz on October 21, 1906. The couple seem to have lived in the family home on East 3rd early on, but moved to 106 East 4th by 1912 and is last noted there in 1913. She passed on August 12, 1953 and was buried with her parents and brother in the Hebrew Cemetery under the name Mary Hyman Molberg.

 

David and Sophie were natives of Colorado. He began his working life as a messenger for the Postal Telegraph Cable Co. By 1910 he was employed as an agent for the railroad, during 1913 in a saloon at 122 West 2nd Street and in 1914 as a bartender for Patrick Mack. David was a manager for the American Iron & Metal Co in 1917 and during 1920 he was employed as a hardware salesman all the while still living at 115 East 3rd Street. Fourteen year old Sophie began working for the Amters in 1908 and then clerked for Miss M. J. Franzin’s dry goods business during 1909 and 1910.

On March 2, 1926:

 

Mrs. Sarah Barnett came to a tragic death last Friday evening when some candles she had lighted as part of a pre-Sabbath religious ritual ignited her clothing. David Hyman, her son, attempted to extinguish the flames before they burned his mother, but he was too late. She died the following morning.

 

She was born in Vilna, Russia. Coming to America when quite young, she lived in Leadville for forty years prior to her removal to Denver two years ago on account of failing health. (Obit.)

 

Sarah Hyman Barnett was buried In Leadville’s Hebrew Cemetery in Block C, Lot 4, Grave 8, next to Levi, Henry, and, ultimately, Mary. In the 1910 Census, Sarah reported having delivered twelve children of whom only four were then still alive.

Isaac and Cecelia Hyman

Other Hyman residents

Another Hyman family appeared in the 1920 Census. Isaac was a child of England, born in 1871, but his ancestors hailed from Russia. He arrived in America during 1886 and was naturalized in 1912. Cecelia was of Polish birth (1877), immigrated in 1892, and took the Pledge in 1918. The kids, Louis and Lottie, were then 21 and 17 and living with their parents in a rental home at 121 West 5th Street. Both father and son worked in the clothing business, a “merchant” and salesman, respectively.

During 1885 three men surnamed Hyman (Alfred W. a miner, Charles L. a laborer, and Robert G. a blacksmith) were living on East 5th Street.

 

Dora died on September 4, 1894, at the age of 21 and was buried in the Hebrew Cemetery in Block C, Lot 18, Grave 4.

 

Maxine lived at 206 West 2nd Street during 1910.

 

Len was a miner living at 211 East 8th Street in 1915.

 

Aud married Mrs. Gertrude Thomas on May 17, 1935.

Temple Israel Foundation

208 West 8th Street

Leadville, Colorado 80461

303.709.7050

Temple Israel Museum

201 West 4th Street

Leadville, Colorado 80461

longled@longled.cnc.net

Hebrew Cemetery

Within Evergreen Cemetery

North end of James Street, Leadville

Contact Us