Orthodox Synagogue

Reflecting the trend of the times, the first group of Jews to settle in Leadville could trace their roots to Germany. They tended towards assimilationist attitudes and the practice of Reform Judaism. This included services largely in English, women as members of the congregation, and the use of a choir. Later immigration to America and Leadville included a large proportion of Eastern European Jews who were more rigorous in their religious observations and practices. As in other Jewish communities, this led to a bit of a schism.

Click the buttons below to learn more about the Orthodox Jews in Leadville.

The Presbyterian church building around 1892 shortly before it was acquired by the Knesseth Israel Congregation.

The Presbyterian church building around 1892 as the Salvation Army headquarters shortly before it was acquired by the Knesseth Israel Congregation.
Courtesy Lake County Public Library Mountain History Collection.

Temple Israel Foundation
208 West 8th Street
Leadville, Colorado 80461
303.709.7050

Temple Israel Museum
201 West 4th Street
Leadville, Colorado 80461
longled@longled.cnc.net

Hebrew Cemetery
SW Corner of Evergreen Cemetery
North end of James Street, Leadville
Contact Us